John Bachelor arrived in NSW as a member of Marines of the 55th Portsmouth Company, as part of HMS Sirius ships marines aboard HMS Sirius 1788.
John arrived on Norfolk Island, as member of the original landing party in Mar 1788 aboard HM Supply.
He drowned on 15 June 1788 when the fishing vessel he was in was swamped. His body was not washed ashore until a week later on 21 June and his body, “put the Corpse into a shell & interred it near the Flagstaff”.
 Philip Gidley King , Journal of Philip Gidley King: Lieutenant, R.N. 1787-1790.
Image: Monument for First Landing Party site March 1788, Kingston Norfolk Island
- HMS Sirius Ships Marines Jan 1788
- Norfolk Island first landing party March 1788
- Births and Deaths Norfolk Island 1788 to late January 1791
- First Fleeters deaths on Norfolk Island
- First Fleeters Deaths 1788 Sydney and Norfolk Island
- Deaths and Burials Norfolk Island 1788 – 1814