Some links to online resources for Law and Order in Sydney 1788-1800
- Criminal Court Records Index from 1788 at State Archives and Records – not digitised
- Bench of Magistrates Index from 1788 at State Archives and Records – not digitised
- Court of Civil Jurisdiction Index from 1799 at State Archives and Records – not digitised
- Case index of decisions of the Superior Courts of New South Wales from 1788 – Published by the Division of Law, Macquarie University
- The Journal and Letters of Lt. Ralph Clark 1787-1792
- David Collins, An Account of the English Colony in New South Wales, Volume 1
- David Collins, An Account of the English Colony in New South Wales, Volume 2 from 1796
- John Hunter, An Historical Journal of the Transactions at Port Jackson and Norfolk Island
- List of people executed in NSW from 1788
Law and Order in Sydney 1788-1800: Saturday 14 Oct 2017
City of Sydney Historical Association
2pm. Venue: Treasury Rooms at Sydney Town Hall.
$3 Members. $6 Visitors. No bookings required.
Historian Cathy Dunn will review some of the cases brought before the Court and Magistrate’s Bench in Sydney, their outcomes and punishments.
- Matters include theft, drinking, rape, escape, debt and others.
- Colonial sentences of lashes, executions, transportation to Norfolk Island and others.
- Discover where the records are available for researchers.