Convict. Crime: Horse Stealing. Tried: 24 Jul 1790, Stafford, 7 years
Mary married 1 Aug 1794 at St Phillips Sydney, Thomas REIBEY, Naval Officer, Britannia 1791.
Thomas Reibey in 1809 was recorded as Harbour Master and pilot of Sydney Cove. He died in 1811, buried at the Old Sydney Burial ground and later re interned to Devonshire Street Cemetery.
After Thomas’s death in 1811 Mary carried on his merchant and shipping business. Mary soon became recognized as a leader in business matters and a prominent land holder in Sydney Town and was held a respected place in society. She easily was able to hide her convict background as with her business dealings, Mary had became part of high society in Sydney.
1822: Mary was listed as Came free, 1821, this being correct as she had returned to England, but does hides her convict past.
1825: Free by Servitude, per Royal Admiral 1792, Householder, Campbelltown
Mary HAYDOCK or should I say James BURROWS was tried for horse stealing in August 1791 at Stafford with a sentenced of 7 years transportation. It was only after the court case that is was noticed that she was actually a female. Mary Haydock joined the Royal Admiral as a female being only 15 years old. Upon arrival she was assigned to Lieut Grose.
Mary Haydock married 1 Aug 1794 St Phillips Sydney Thomas REIBEY. Witness at the marriage was Sarah HIGGINSON, Convict Royal Admiral. Sarah placed her mark (X) on the registry, this is the only record relating to Sarah Higginson in the Colony.
Mary was involved with the formation of the Bank of New South Wales in 1817. This bank is now called Westpac and one of the largest Banking Corporations in Australia today.
Apart from her land holdings in Sydney and in the Hawkesbury region the , Mary also bought land for her sons in Tasmania.
Image: Pendant featuring drawing of Mary Reibey, photo taken by Cathy Dunn 2013 at the Mitchell Library Sydney.
Mary died 30 May 1855 at her home in Newtown. She was buried beside her husband Thomas at the Devonshire St Cemetery. Central Railway Station now stands on the cemetery site today.
So much has been written about Mary Hadock as she would be the most well known lady of the Royal Admiral 1792. Her name doesn’t ring a bell….. well try Mary Reibey, a lady one seen most days as she is featured on the Australian $20 note.
- Thomas REIBEY b. 1796, Sydney. He married 1817, in St Phillips Sydney, Richarda ALLEN who died 1888 age 91 in Westbury Tasmania. Thomas was living at Entally Longford by 1836. Thomas died 1842, Entally, near Launceston Tasmania.
- James Haydock REIBEY b. 1798, Sydney. He married 1816, Hobart Tasmania, Rebecca BREEDON nee DEVINE, b. 1794, Norfolk Island. James died 1843, Tasmania.
- Rebecca married again, James REIBEY (born 2 October 1798 Sydney, son of Thomas REIBEY and Mary HAYDOCK) 25 March 1816, St David’s Hobart.James died September 1843, Hadspen near Launceston.
A death notice appeared in the Sydney Morning Herald, 26 September 1843: At Launceston, Van Diemen’s Land, on the 11th instant, James Reibey, Esq., J.P. last surviving son of Mrs. Reibey of Newtown (Sydney).
- George REIBEY b. 1801, Sydney, he died 1823, Tasmania.
- Cecilia REIBEY b. 1803, Sydney, she married 1822, in St Phillips Sydney, Thomas WILLIS, b. 1800, he died 1872, Sydney. Cecilia died from childbirth 1823, Sydney, buried: Devonshire St Cemetery Sydney, her headstone was moved to Bunnerong Cemetery Botany, when Devonshire St Cemetery made way for Central Railway Station.
- Eliza REIBEY b. 1805, Sydney, she married 1821 Hobart Tasmania, Thomas THOMSON. Eliza died 1870, Launceston, Tasmania.
- Jane Penelope REIBEY b. 1807, Sydney, she married 1824, in St Phillips Sydney, John ATKINSON. he died 1893, Launceston Tasmania. Jane died 1854, Launceston Tasmania.
John: Arrived Free Harriett 1817
Reibey Croft today still stands along Blacktown Road right hand side of Gorricks Lane adjacent to the grain silo, Hawkesbury . This simple colonial Georgian farmhouse was built by Mary Reiby as a wedding present for her daughter, (Jane) Penelope. The cottage has a central hall and four rooms downstairs, an attic with two bedrooms and three dormer windows on each side. An original barn with huge, bush timber uprights and cross beams, a dairy and a well are also on the site. It is now a private residence , may be viewed on the hillside.
Image: Painting of Jane Penelope REIBEY – ATKINSON taken by Cathy Dunn 2013 at the Mitchell Library Sydney.
- Elizabeth REIBEY b. 1810, Sydney, she married 1829, in St James Sydney, Joseph Long INNES